Tuesday 17 March 2009

I Fought A Crocodile For You



Once every so often you come across a band that forces you to keep your finger glued to the repeat button, Miami trio Jacuzzi Boys is one of those bands. Even though they have been rocking out since early 2007 they have only just blinked up on my radar. I know band names can be deceiving but don't worry this is not a boy band, these guys produce a distorted garage yet psychedelic 60s sound with some Miami, Florida sunshine flavour.

Their third 7" I fought a crocodile has a slightly more straight on garage/surf approach than their previous 7 inches Florida is Dying (2007) and Hozac (2008) and is probably best described as a foxy mix between King Khan and Black Lips. As the needle hits the groove first track I Fought a Crocodile sets off with whistling birds, creating the image of a Miami swamp. These whistles soon vanish and are replaced by a joyful drum roll leading up to the catchty chorus "i fought a crocodile for you, yes I did" which is brought in such a cocky and confident manner that you will be bound to catch yourself singing along in no time. The track Blowin' Kisses is evidently as catchy and filled with distorted flower pop, yet I can't help but hear the reference to Pavement's Two Sates opening "we want two steaks" in the chorus. As the 7" is just over five minutes I can only hope that their next release will be a proper debut album.

Download and enjoy previous 7 inches here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for Jacuzzi Boys, there are amazing!

Jolie said...

oh my god.. not only am I obsessed with every single record/bside/unreleased track pavement has ever done, I am also a big jacuzzi boys fan. I live in miami and saw them live, so I went local record store last week looking to buy one of their cds. they only have JB vinyl and I dont have a record player, so I am forever indebebted to you for this.
thanks again,
jolie

Kevin said...

Hi Jolie,

Amazing that you came across the blog. Jacuzzi Boys are amazing, have been searching forever to find some of their 7inches but can't seemed to find them at my local record stores. Glad you're enjoying the tunes, will keep you posted if I find some more. How was their live show? Just hoping they'll come over to Europe soon.

PS you've got a great taste!